Jack graduated from Johnsonburg High School and enlisted in the U.S. Army during WWII. He was part of the Normandy Invasion, but was captured by the Germans and held as a prisoner of war. Following his military service, he worked at the Johnsonburg Paper Mill and was active in the community serving the county of Elk as the County Treasurer and Auditor. He also served as the President of the Rotary Club and the Johnsonburg Welfare Chest Fund and took pleasure in hunting and traveling.
Amount: Minimum of $800, determined annually
Eligibility: Johnsonburg Area High School
Category: General, Vocational, Agriculture, Associate & Bachelor’s Degrees
- Graduating senior from the Johnsonburg Area High School. The recipient would need to be living in Johnsonburg/Wilcox/Jones Township and either be graduating from Johnsonburg High School or if JAHS combines with other area public schools at some future date, their residence must be within what would have been the previous JAHS school district.
- Pursuing a 2 or 4-year post-secondary education including technical school, associate and bachelor's degrees
- Preference should be given to a student who participated in the Vo-Ag classes and/or the Future Farmers of America organization.
- Consideration will be given to a student who is active in their school and community activities:
- Candidate should demonstrate financial need.
- The award shall be made without regard to scholastic excellence and to student who would not be in the top percentage of their class.